For the first time in several months we went to the beach for our vacation and arrived after an 8 hour drive to the beautiful east coast. After checking in and unpacking, I looked at the clock and realized it was after 6:00.
I was doing a 24 hour fast and last ate at 7:00 last night. So we decided to go out and get a bite to eat. We found a higher restaurant that looked relaxing and went in.
But when we looked at the menu, we found ourselves frustrated as everything seemed to have carbs and sugar. I had no idea that eating out would be so challenging when eating high fat low carb.
Brian ended up getting Parmesan wings which is our old fall back and I couldn’t seem to find anything that didn’t have some sort of sauce or pasta. And I just wasn’t in the mood for Chicken Wings.
Finally I found a grilled chicken breast over kale and spinach. It had some sort of oriental sweet sauce over it. So I asked if the chef could simply grill my chicken and lightly cook my kale and spinach in butter. I felt like I was being difficult, but the waitress told me that people make special request all the time. The chef was very happy to accommodate and the meal was delicious.
So here are a few tricks that I learned from my experience over the past week with eating out and a few tips that I learned from talking with others who eat lchf.
Eating Out Tips for LCHF
- Ask the waitress how the food is prepared. Is it grilled, fried, poached, baked. And What kind of oil is used?
- The simpler the meal is, the less likely to have hidden sugar. A steak or burger (without the bun) with a green vegetable is a good choice.
- Ask for a replacement or substitution. For example rather than a steak and fries, ask for a salad to replace the fries or. Then use olive oil and vinegar as your dressing.
- If possible, read the menu online (if it is available) before you leave your home. This way you already know what you will order. It is always easier if you are prepared ahead of time.
- When in doubt order a large tossed salad with olive oil and vinegar. And you can always ask them to add some grilled chicken or beef. I also enjoy Greek salad as it has lots of olives and feta cheese!
I hope you found some of these tips helpful. What are some of the suggestions you have for someone who wants to eat out on a lchf diet?