Recently I’ve been seeing a lot more information out there about the No Carb Diet Plan which is also known as the Carnivore Diet and I wanted to share with you what I learned about it.
The no carb diet is when you eat a diet that is mainly just meat. And meat and fish have zero carbs. So if a person eats a diet consisting of only meat, then they will not getting any carbs.
Most carnivores try to stick with the fattier cuts of meat or fattier fish like salmon and it helps their body use the fat for fuel. So they use ketones for fuel rather than glucose. Some carnivores also eat other meat products like cream, cheese, and eggs. And some use the bones to make bone broth which is full of healthy collegian.
What’s The Difference Between The Carnivore Diet and The Ketogenic Diet?
The no carb diet is very similar to the low carb, high-fat way of eating except is is much more extreme. We both use ketones as fuel. However, with a low carb lifestyle, you also get to include a wide range of veggies and even some fruits. Most people keep their daily carbs below 30 grams.
I personally keep my daily carb intake below 20. I eat lots of meats (I prefer grass fed beef), and fish. I also eat cheese, eggs, and veggies. I don’t eat root veggies or fruits. Once in a blue moon, I may have some berries. I just find other fruits are too high in natural sugar for me and makes my joints hurt. I also get headaches when I eat too much sugar. My body simply prefers the lower carb foods.
You may be wondering why in the world a person would want to eat a no carb carnivorous diet. I mean it does sound very extreme and not very appealing. But people do it for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is the many benefits that come with eating an extremely low carb. There are lots of benefits to doing a carnivorous diet.
Benefits of Carnivore Diet
- Eat the Foods You Love! Many people hate veggies and love eating meat. Most men would prefer a nice t bone steak over veggies any day. Eating a zero carb diet is perfect for them. They get to eat all the foods they love while they lose weight.
- Lose Weight or Kick-Start a Weight Loss Plateau. Sometimes when someone is losing weight they hit a plateau where it feels like their weight simply isn’t budging on the scale. Eating zero carbs for a few days is a great way to kick start your weight loss. You can lose weight quickly while maintaining your lean muscle. You can read more about pushing through a weight loss plateau here.
- Feel Better! Many people find that by eliminating processed foods, starches and fruits from their diet they are able to think clearer and have more energy. People just feel better in general.
- It’s Simple: There is nothing easier than eating meat all day long. It is the simplest plan out there.
- No Hunger: When you eat meat you feel very satiated. So you are less likely to crave other foods.
Will I be trying out the carnivore diet myself? Probably not as I love my veggies too much. I’m not ready to give them up at all. I also enjoy a variety of tastes and textures. I think I would get totally bored eating only meat products.
But from time to time when I have had a cheat day, I will do an egg fast for the next few days. On egg fast days, I just eat eggs when I’m hungry and I can really drop a few pounds quickly. Then I go back to eating my normal low carb. I suppose in a way this is similar to the carnivore diet.
What about you? Have you tried the no carb diet? If so, what were your results? I would love to hear from you.
Recommended Carnivore Diet Books: