One of the biggest things that I missed when I started my low-carb, high-fat diet was crunchy crackers or potato chips. And, of course, I can’t have them, because they are full carbs and sugar. And worse yet, they make me fat.
But cheese has zero carbs and are full of fat. Which is what we want to eat on a low carb diet. So cheese is a really good alternative to crackers or chips.
Cheese chips are simply cheese that has melted until it is well done and crunchy. The following recipe is how I make the perfect chips for dipping. And it is super easy to make.
How to Make Cheese Chips
What you will need
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- cheese (only use full-fat cheese. Don’t use anything low fat and especially don’t use processed cheese)
- egg timer
- Set oven to 400 degrees
- place a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet.
- place 6 slices of cheese on the paper.
- sprinkle spices on the cheese. I like to use paprika, pepper, red pepper flakes or Italian seasoning.
- place cooking sheet in the oven.
- Set timer for 8 minutes
- Make sure chips are brown around the edges and bubbly before you remove from the oven.
- Let the chips cool for a few minutes.
Enjoy your chips alone or use then to dip into guacamole or salsa.
Hint: If you take the cheese fresh out of the oven and gently lay it over a spoon to crisp up, you will have a taco shape. Now you have a low carb shell to use for tacos!
You can also use shredded cheese. Just make little mounds of the cheese on your parchment paper. It will all melt together and taste exactly the same.
No time to bake? I discovered Whisps last summer and they are amazing. They are simply baked cheese. I love this for a quick crunchy snack. There are 3 different flavors, parmesan, pepper jack and my favorite cheddar cheese.