If you eat a lot of carbs and sugar, are overweight and have a protruding stomach then you may have a fatty liver. I did and so do 20% of folks living in the United States.
I actually had many of the symptoms of a nonalcoholic fatty liver and became very concerned with my health.
In my personal experience, I believe a low carb diet which is high in fat is the best diet for a fatty liver. I found that by eating more fat and cutting out the sugar in my diet I have been able to flatten out my belly. Now I’m 25 pounds lighter and I feel great!
My digestive system is so much better than it was before. I don’t feel bloated and I now have a flat belly for the first time in 20 years! Okay, I don’t have a six pack yet, but at my age, I don’t need one. 🙂
Heal a Fatty Liver
One of the best things you can do to help heal a fatty liver is to eat more fat. I know it sounds crazy, but when you eat more fat, your body will become a fat burning machine. Fat helps to cleanse a damaged liver.
Many people think that eating high-fat foods is what gives you a fatty liver. But actually, it is carbs and sugar that give you a fatty liver, not fat. Think about the beer belly. Most people with a beer belly also have a fatty liver. And beer is very high in sugar, not fat. It is sugar that makes you get a fatty liver, not fat.
Sadly, many children are diagnosed with Fatty liver disease because of their diet. Children today eat a lot of processed foods and sweets. Because of this their litter liver’s are overworked and not healthy.
Fat Doesn’t Make You Fat, Sugar and Carbs Do!
Dr. Hyman who is the author of Eat Fat Get Thin says that “Eating fat turns off the fat production in your liver”. This means that when you eat fat, you are going to raise your metabolism and burn off more fat.
But it’s important that you are eating the right kinds of fats. Corn oils, trans fats, and hydrogenated oils are all very bad for you. The liver needs good fats like coconut oil, saturated fat or Ghee or butter, fish oil and olive oil.
Want to Make your Liver Happy? Here are some things you can do, to care for your liver.
- Eat lots of green vegetables like collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
- Another important part of healing a sick liver is to stop drinking alcohol or significantly reduce the intake of alcohol. Beer especially is very high in carbs.
- I also recommend eliminating as much sugar from your diet as possible and especially avoid high fructose corn syrup.
- Reduce starchy root vegetables as well as pasta, rice, and bread in your diet.
- Eat more nuts and seeds. Raw is always best if possible.
- Eat more cheese and heavy whipping cream. But you will want to avoid milk (even skim milk has sugar).
- Eat more animal protein like eggs, chicken, fish, pork, and beef (remember to eat the skin)
- Try this apple cider vinegar drink to help cleanse your liver.
- Avoid fake food as well as highly processed food. Just eat real food.
I hope these tips help you out if you are concerned about your liver.
If you are concerned about your nonalcoholic fatty liver and you want to begin to heal it, then I highly recommend Dr. Hyman’s book, Eat Fat Get Thin.
What about you? Are you concerned about your liver? Do you think you could have a fatty liver? What steps have you taken to heal it?