Losing weight isn’t about counting calories, or working out for hours on end. It is about reducing the fat storing hormone, insulin, and you’ll effortlessly lose excess weight. When you eat less carbs, you lower your insulin rate which makes you burn fat.
But the first thing I want to make clear is that I am by no means an expert. All I can do is share with you what I’m doing and give you my results.
How to do a high fat low carb diet.
- First of all you need to change your mindset and understand that fat is not bad for you and it certainly doesn’t make you fat. What makes you fat is sugar.
- Eat until you are full. This was hard for me because I thought I would need to restrict how much I eat. When eating high fat, you don’t count calories and you get to eat until you are full. But, I found that I am full quickly and I can often go many hours (6 or more) without eating. I am just not hungry.
- Eat when you are hungry and only when you are hungry. I have realized that in the past, I would eat just to eat. It is weird but now that my body is satisfied, I really don’t crave in between snacks. If you don’t need to eat, don’t.
- Eat a Low Carb Diet. Foods that are very low in carbs are meat, eggs, cheese, and vegetables. Some veggies are higher in carbs than others. To help my confusion, I just eat the ones that grow on the ground and I don’t eat any of the root veggies because they seem to have more carbs. And yes I avoid all sugar.
- Eat Real Food and Learn to Read the Labels. I only eat food that is real food. If it is in a box it probably has added sugar or carbs. I read everything!
- Don’t eat artificial sweeteners as they will trick your body into thinking you are eating sugar. Plus they will make you crave more sweets. It is better to learn to live without sweets. I promise in a few days you will not miss them at all.
- Sleep is important really important. So try to avoid sleep and get a good 8 hours of sleep a night.
- Get into Ketosis. I will be writing a post about Ketosis shortly but Ketosis is what happens when a body doesn’t have glucose to use for energy. So instead it uses stored fat for energy. Which is what we want. We want to burn fat, not sugar.