It is more difficult for women over fifty to loose weight but you can have big time success with a low carb high fat diet. It actually has been the only thing to work for me.
I’ve been eating a low carb, high fat diet for 9 weeks now and although I am no expert, I am loosing weight. And over the last few weeks I have learned a few tips that I wanted to share with you. But I most especially wanted to share with you some of the pitfalls that you should avoid when wanting to lose weight on a lchf diet.
8 Pitfalls to Avoid When Eating A Low Carb High Fat Diet
1. Not Planning Ahead: If you know you will be gone for the day, I suggest packing a lunch. This will make it super easy to have the right food available for when you are hungry. Keep in mind,most fast food restaurants don’t have low carb high fat food available. So it would be really easy to eat food in high carbs.
If you don’t pack a lunch at least make sure you have some quick snacks available if you need it. I always have some nuts in my purse and a bag of pork rinds in my car just in case I’m hungry and don’t have anything to eat.
2. Eating just to eat: This was the weirdest thing for me, because I was programmed over the years to graze throughout the day. So it seemed that I would always be snacking on something. But I never really was hungry. I would eat, just to eat.
The good thing about a high fat, low carb diet is that you will be full longer and will learn to eat when you are hungry. Just be aware and don’t let old habits get the best of you. Don’t snack if you aren’t hungry. The desire to eat is gone, but I do find
3. Not eating enough fat: Eating protein is easy, but what you really need to eat is more fat. The more fat you eat, the more weight you will lose.
But be sure to eat monounsaturated fats like avocado oil or olive oil. Also Eat fatty fish and meat and butter. Avoid corn, sunflower or canola oil. Your body won’t absorb them as well and you will not see results on the scale.
4. Obsessing about amount of weight lost: Speaking of the scale, don’t make yourself crazy expecting the numbers to drop. If you are following the plan, I promise, the weight will come off. But it is different for everyone. If you find you are stressing over it, then just check the scale once a week or even less often. Heck, eliminate the scale altogether. You will know if you are losing or not, simply by how your clothes fit.
5. Eating Too Much Fruit: Fruit is so sweet and tempting. But it is full of sugar. If you want to get great results, don’t eat it until you hit your goal. If you must eat it, choose berries as they have much less carbs.
6. Expecting Quick Results: Understand that it took years to put on the weight and it will take time to come off. So don’t get discouraged. For me, I lost about 2 lbs a week the first 8 weeks then it slowed down to about 1-1 and a half weeks.
7. Beer: I added this because it is the one thing I really miss. I love drinking IPA beers, especially when hanging out with friends. But beer is the worst! I mean it has so many carbs. So if I must drink, I choose spirits instead with some soda water. Most spirits have zero sugars.
8. Water: The most important thing you can do on a lchf diet is to drink lots of filtered water. It helps to cleans your system and help you feel full longer. Water makes your still look healthier and you will feel great.
Now that you know what not to do, here are some tips of what to do on a hflc diet.
Are you on a lchf diet? What where some of the pitfalls you encountered?