Today I want to share some of my top weight loss tips for women over 50. As a weight loss counselor, I get to see and hear about all the frustrations that women of a certain age struggle with when losing weight.
Here are my Six Weight loss tips for Women over 50:
But more importantly I can share with you what really is effective. And since I am over fifty and have kicked my weight to the curb, I can share with you what works and what doesn’t.
1. Just so you know, women typically don’t lose weight as quickly as men do. And You may NOT lose weight as quickly as the young folks. You must accept this fact or you are just going to frustrate yourself and end up not being successful. So don’t try to compare yourself to others. There is no race. But you can and will lose the weight. And when you do, you will feel amazing. So be sure to focus on health and not the scale. I suggest you only weigh yourself once a week.
2. It all comes down to sugar! Eliminate sugar in your diet. I know I beat a dead horse about this, but there is no way around it. If you cut the carbs and lower your sugar intake you lower your insulin which makes your body use your own fat for energy.
It is important to understand which foods are high in sugar so you know which ones to avoid. A good place to start is to avoid all sweets. I know it isn’t simple to stop eating sugar, but if you want to get healthy and lose weight and avoid illness down the road this is something you need to do.
It is important to eliminate sugary drinks like soda and juice. Instead, reach for filtered water. If you have a hard time drinking plain water, try sparkling water or adding a drop or two of Stevia water enhancers. Don’t use drops that are made with artificial sweeteners like sweet and low or Splenda.
Instead, go with natural sweeteners like Stevia or erythritol or xylitol. I carry Liquid Stevia in my purse. Stevia is natural and comes from the leaf of the Stevia plant. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol. I tend to only use this for baking sugar free deserts. And another new favorite is xylitol. This sweetener is also a sugar alchohol and it is often used as a sweetener for some sugar free hard candies.
You also should avoid all bread and wheat. This was probably the hardest thing for me as I really enjoyed a nice slice of hard bread with butter. But I realized that the bread had too much sugar and was making me fat. So I completely cut it out. It wasn’t easy. You will also want to eliminate pasta, rice and oats.
If you want to learn more about grain and its effects on your body and mental health, I highly recommend you read the book Grain Brain.
I also suggest cutting out potatoes and root veggies as they tend to have more carbs. Stick with the veggies that grow above the ground. A bit of onion or garlic is fine though.
3. Don’t be afraid to eat more fat. When choosing ground beef, buy the cheaper ones that have more fat. And go for the higher fat cuts of meat. They tend to be more tender anyway. Also, keeps the skin on your chicken. Add butter to your fish. Fat is good. Just stay away from the bad fats like margarine, vegetable oil, canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil.
I highly recommend Fat: A Documentary
4. Avoid alcohol especially in the beginning because we are more likely to fall off the wagon when we are drinking on a low carb diet. It is true that it is better to drink low carbs drinks rather than sugary drinks and beer. But in the beginning especially just don’t do it.
5. Supplements make a difference. This way, you can be sure you are not missing any important vitamins or minerals. I suggest taking a quality multivitamin daily.
Most vitamins are full of synthetic chemicals made in the label. Make sure you choose a good non-synthetic vitamin made for women 50+ like NATURELO Whole Food Multivitamin for Women. These are non-genetically modified, soy free and gluten free.
6. Make sure you have a great support system at home. Surround yourself with people who are not going to sabotage your success. Sometimes this can be difficult especially if your enabler is your spouse or another close relative. If this is the case, you need to have a heart-to-heart with them. Let them know why it is important to you to be healthier.
Many people find it helpful to partner with a health and wellness coach or health Tudor. A health Tudor can help you with mindset. They will hold you to the carpet and give you the loving accountability that you need. It will help you realize how may have been letting weight loss excuses hold you back in the past. It is nice knowing someone is in your corner.
I am currently bringing on new clients. Now is the perfect time to put yourself first! Set up a Free Consultation today.